Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a female 5 year old pure bred 13" Beagle. She is limping

I have a female 5 year old pure bred 13" Beagle. She is limping on her left front paw. Favoring the right. If you touch either paw she whimpers and yelps.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any falls or accidents?
2- Is she lethargic?
3- Any swelling?
4- Any coughing, vomiting or diarrhea?
5- How much does she weigh?
6- Is she on any medications?
7- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

did you get my reply to all your questions??

No I did not, sorry. Can you repeat them again. Sorry.

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

1- Any falls or accidents? Not that I am aware of...But she does dig and she tries to under our deck and she does get stuck..
2- Is she lethargic? Only because she is hurt. she doesn't want to move because she is favoring her right front paw.
3- Any swelling? Not noticeable...Her paws are somewhat inflamed all the time because she constantly licks them
4- Any coughing, vomiting or diarrhea? No..No sickly symptoms just the pain of her paw
5- How much does she weigh? 32lbs
6- Is she on any medications? No
7- Any pre existing medical conditions? Just overwieght

Friend, it is possible that her lameness is related to the inflammation in her paws. Or, there could be another problems like a neuromuscular injury, arthritis, etc.
One of the most common causes for excessive licking of the paws is an underlying allergy (food or environmental). This is what you can do:

1- Change her diet to a prescription food called Hill's z/d or a grain free diet with a different source of protein then what she normally has had in the past. For example: If she seldom ate fish then put on her on a fish formula like Taste of Wild Salmon. When on this diet she should not eat anything else or she will not improve. Needs to be on this diet for 6-8 weeks before you see significant improvement.

2- Start her on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg every 12 hours.

3- Supplement with Eicosaderm (omega 3 fatty acids); you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online. Give at label dose.

4- For the pain you can give her Aspirin 325mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours.

This is what you can do if her paws are sore:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at her paws.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to soak her paws for 5 minutes 2-3 times a day.

3- After soaking paws as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is there a way stop her from licking? say with that plastic collar that keeps her from licking?? where can you get one??

If you read above in #1 of the second part I recommend an ecollar (cone) that you can pick up in your local pet store. The idea behind changing her diet and benadryl is to treat a possible allergy so that she stops licking.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.