Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I have two house cats a female Turkish Van and a male Norweigan

Customer Question

I have two house cats a female Turkish Van and a male Norweigan Forest Cat, both about 7 years old. The Male cat is on medication for kidney problems and hs a lovabe nature. Our vet says he has never seen such a laid back cat he is no problem taking tablets, wheras I think if it was the female who had to have tablets we would not have any hands left as as is very feisty.
The have always got on well together but lately we have had to separate them as the male cat has been attacking the female and pinning her to the ground with lots of yells from both of them. On grooming the female I found a little scab which is probably where the male cat bit her.
I have ordered some Feliway to spray around the house and also a diffuser is there anything else I can do.
The male now ony foes to the vet every six months as his is doing well on his medication and no other problems were found at his last routine visit which was in July.
Margaret
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that your cats aren't getting along. Cats are the kings and queens of misdirected aggression, and any disruption in the household can cause cats that once got along well to have conflict. I'm so glad he's been to the vet recently-- you've come a long way by ruling out any new medical problems that have been causing his aggression. UTI in cats with kidney disease is a big culprit.

The Feliway is a great idea, but I find that some kind of behavior modification is also often needed. You've seen overt aggression between your cats-- the pinning and fighting. Watch as well for covert aggression. One cat may guard food, litter, and sleeping areas, making life hard on the one being bullied.

I usually recommend starting from scratch and re-introducing the cats as though they had never met. This involves separating the bully into an area with his own food, water, and litter for a few days, while allowing the victim to roam freely and relax. Once a few days have passed, they can have supervised contact with one another. Sometimes, making the cats smell like you by rubbing them with clothing you've worn before introducing them can be helpful (this is also helpful when coming back from the vet clinic). Make sure there are places to run and hide when they are re-introduced.

If they are supervised and they start to fight, drop a bath towel on them. This is usually enough to startle them and get them to break it up, without getting your hands in there where you can get bitten or scratched. Walk away as if nothing had happened. As the cats are together and get along, they can be allowed more and more time together and eventually be unsupervised.

Also, spend some time daily with the bully, playing with him with lures and other predator-type toys. This gives him an outlet for aggressive behavior without hurting the other cat. At first, do this alone in his room, so the other cat doesn't get involved and start a fight. Gradually, they can start playing together again.

When they are together in the house, make sure that there are at least 1 more litter boxes than you have cats, and make sure they can access food and water separately, without having to approach the other cat to get it.

Some cats experience a behavior change, and despite your best efforts, continue to fight. Behavior modification is slow (expect 6 months of work to see results), but if it is unsuccessful, talk to your vet-- there are some behavioral medications available for cats that may help if all else fails.

I hope this is helpful, if so please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Iam using the feliway spray and waiting for the diffuser to arrive, but since I contacted you there has not been anymore spats between them. I always feed them in different rooms otherwise Toby would eat Yanni's normal food and not the the prescription food as he prefers that. I think that is part of the problem as he thinks Yanni'Ssnormal is getting preferential treatment. Also he has his own routine such as he always comes up to the bedroom every morning for a cuddle when he has his medication and then in the evenings he has his special place to sleep or next to my husband where he lies back and has his tummy rubbed. She sometimes buts in as she is a demanding cat and then he waits to get his own back. Usually though they get on well together it is just that when they do fight they really fight.

Margaret

Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
I'm so glad that they have been getting along lately. If you can preserve their normal routine and keep the peace, I'm sure that's best for everyone, and less stressful. Best of luck with the Feliway!