Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

My guinea pig seems to be walking oddly. He hops, sort of like

My guinea pig seems to be walking oddly. He hops, sort of like a rabbit. His appetite is fine, but his energy seems a little low.
Hi there,

There are a couple of things that can cause a guinea pig to change the way she moves. Have you carefully examined her feet? Broken toenails or sores on the feet can cause changes in how she walks, and as long as the cage is clean, these will heal on their own.

What does she eat? Guinea pigs need vitamin C in their diets. Joint pain is a sign of vitamin C deficiency, and can lead to an abnormal gait. Most commercial guinea pig foods are supplemented with vitamin C, but she may not be getting enough. Red or green peppers, spinach, asparagus, and tomatoes are good sources of vitamin C that you can feed as treats or snacks.

Sometimes, guinea pigs that are ill will hunch and show changes in how they move. If you look carefully at her feet and there are no reasons for her to be lame, and if she's getting a balanced guinea pig diet, it may be time to visit the vet for an exam. Guinea pigs hide their symptoms to avoid being eaten by predators, and they don't show many signs until they are very ill. If she is brewing a respiratory infection or similar, she may benefit from antibiotics before she gets so sick that she stops eating.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus