Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.

Is there a safe dose for a one time adminstration of ibuprofen

Is there a safe dose for a one time adminstration of ibuprofen for a 12 lb yorkie?
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What is the problem with your dog?
2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
3- Is he/she currently on any medications?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dog is in pain and tremors from receiving 3 vaccines today. No past medical Hx. and no active med problems. otherwise very healthy

In response to your question there are doses reported for Ibuprofen, but, even at therapeutic doses ibuprofen can easily cause gastrointestinal ulceration; for this reason we try to stay away from using ibuprofen in dogs. Instead you can give Aspirin 81mg every 12 hours for 7 days.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter