Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

we have a winter white hamster. she is making a low squeaking

we have a winter white hamster. she is making a low squeaking sonar type sound. it's kind of hard to describe and she is very active digging in her cage, food bowl and play box. is she ok?
Hi there,

Wasabi is such a cute name for a hamster! Hamsters usually squeak when they are agitated or frightened, although sometimes they can squeak if they are excited while playing. Hamsters that are handled a lot and that enjoy being with people may dig and squeak because they want out of their cages.

It's tough to say what is bothering your hamster, but here are a few tips.

-Do a whole-body check. If the fecal pellets in the cage appear normal and she doesn't appear to be injured or in pain, she's likely agitated and responding to something that is bothering her.

-Hamsters dig to hide food, and if she has hidden food that she can't find, she may become agitated. Make sure she's got food in her cage just in case.

-If you've had your hamster for less than 2-4 weeks or if she's been around another hamster, she could be pregnant. Sometimes they will dig and seem agitated prior to having babies.

-Check the surrounding room. If there are other pets around or if she could see other animals (stray cats, etc) out a window, that could make her agitated and want to dig to hide.

To calm her down, try putting a towel over her cage and leaving her alone for 30 minutes to an hour. Come back and check on her from time to time, but see if relaxing in a dark cage makes her more comfortable.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.