Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

my rabbit is not moving and breathing loud what should I d

my rabbit is not moving and breathing loud what should I do?

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that Rin is not well. Rabbits hide their symptoms to avoid predators, so by the time they start acting sick, they are often in quite critical condition.

At this point, your bunny really needs veterinary attention. It is likely that she has a respiratory infection, judging from the difficulty breathing. Infections and pneumonia generally will not get better without antibiotic treatment, which will need to be prescribed by your vet. She may also benefit from some fluids under her skin to rehydrate her.

I would advise you to stop force feeding/giving her water and food via syringe, as it isn't really possible to give her enough to make a difference and there is a big risk of her choking. I'd also caution you that rabbits that are this sick often don't survive, even with the very best veterinary care. For her to have a chance, she needs antibiotics.

At home, keep her in a warm, dry cage. Keep food and water available, but don't force her to eat. Avoid handling her more than is absolutely needed. I understand that you want to comfort her and make her feel better, but rest will do her more good than anything.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Kathleen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rin. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Rin past away yesterday
I'm so sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you.