Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

My dog injured her left leg playing with larger dogs at the

My dog injured her left leg playing with larger dogs at the dog park (I didn't see what exactly what happened but she started shrieking and I went to pick her up and calm her down...then she was limping) and it seems to be the carpus joint.... there was no swelling or heat from the area hours or days later, and she doesn't seem to react until I bend the wrist inward to less than a 45 degree angle) (unlike on the other leg where she has no reaction). I made her rest for a few days until she seemed okay but about 2 weeks later she is limping again (she was also extremely hyper today and running around like a maniac). How should I treat her? I don't want to go to the vet for something I can take care of at home. I'm thinking she should have been immobilized longer?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear the little girl has hurt her leg. Most orthopedic problems do respond to time and rest, and the fact that it got better initially is a good sign.

The most common cause of injury in the carpus is hyperextension, or straightening too severely. These injuries take a long time to heal, and it's easy for them to flare up again. I would suggest two weeks of strict rest (walking is ok but no running, jumping, playing, or having fun of any kind :) ). If at that point she's still not normal, she needs an x-ray to make sure there's not a bone chip or other injury in there that we don't know about.

Tramadol is good for pain but does nothing for the inflammation we see in orthopedic injuries. As over the counter pain killers can be very toxic to dogs, and even aspirin can cause GI bleeding, if she's in pain, you might consider a trip to the vet earlier to get medication to better control pain and inflammation.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a lot Smile

Is there anyway to keep her calm during the 2 weeks of strict rest? She's a pretty hyper little shiba inu, and it's really hard to keep her still...I normally take her running every morning, to help her get some energy out.

Also would some kind of brace or wrap or splint help her protect the joint while it heals or would cause any further issues?

I think walks instead of running would be fine-- just keep an eye on her and see if she appears to be limping during or after the run. If so, cut back. Sometimes, a little Benedryl (1 mg per pound) can help if they are inside and need to rest rather than bombing around like a maniac, too.

I generally avoid wraps and braces unless I have a reason on an x-ray that the joint needs to be kept absolutely still (i.e. fracture) because they tend to cause more problems than they solve. They tend to rub and can cause problems if they are too tight. On a small leg, it's difficult to get it on in such a way that it does any good without getting it so tight it does damage.
Hi Jen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Emi. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus