Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

my daughter has a boxer 6 years old has bloody stools for 2

my daughter has a boxer 6 years old has bloody stools for 2 weeks. at first it would be bloody and normal stool now it is all bloody when it comes out there is a clob of blood then the all dark stool. his vet thinks a ulcer but i think it may be more serious
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that Lennox is ill. It sounds as if you've been quite thorough in pursuing this through your veterinarian. An ulcer is consistent with the dark, tarry, bloody stool, and can be quite serious in its own right (they can sometimes get bad enough to erode all the way through the GI tract wall), but clots of red blood suggest something going on in the lower GI tract as well.

There are two ways you can go about this. One way is to treat him for ulcers and see if he gets better. This would involve sucralfate, as well as other medications. If you've been doing this for a couple of weeks with no results, I think this is cause for concern.

The other approach would be to ask for a referral to an internal medicine specialist, who may have imaging equipment (MRI) or may recommend an exploratory surgery of the abdomen to see where the blood is coming from and take biopsies. This approach is expensive, but it's the surest way to solve the problem quickly. Sometimes tumors of the GI tract ulcerate and bleed, and they can be tough to see on routine imaging.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lennox. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus