Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

I have a 4 day old pug puppy who has been stepped on my mom.

I have a 4 day old pug puppy who has been stepped on my mom. I took him to local vet this morning and she informed me that there may be internal bleeding. Gave him some meds for pain and said to hold him, bottle feed him, and only time will tell if he will life. He has been crying non-stop (slightly quieter after the pain meds) for several hours and has very little interest in feeding. Is there anything more I can do for him and any way to tell if it is internal bleeding?
Hi there,
I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy. It's so sad when something happens to the little ones.

I'm afraid that you are doing all you can by providing good nursing care at home. Keeping him warm, encouraging him to eat, and controlling his pain are really all you can offer. If mom is quiet and resting and his litter mates aren't being active, you might try letting him spend some supervised time with them-- sometimes, that seems to help, although if he has serious injuries, it's very little comfort. If his pain medication has made him feel a little better and he's crying because he's separated from his litter, he might have less stress that way and be able to rest.

As far as telling if there is internal bleeding, it's difficult to tell at home. If you see that his tummy is bloating or he has trouble breathing, those can be signs. You might also see his gums/nose/tongue become very pale (although in such a young puppy, it's difficult to tell if it's blood loss or shock that is causing the paleness). If his pain cannot be controlled at home (he's continuing to vocalize even with pain medication and spending time with the litter, and refusing food), that is a good indication that there is more going on than you know about. The next steps would be imaging (x-ray or ultrasound-- this may or may not show results that can be interpreted as something that can be fixed in such a young puppy), hospitalized care (also very difficult in a critical neonate), or euthanasia.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about this little guy. I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about N/A. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus