Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in practice
18324312

Greetings. I have a 4 month old male american shorthair cat

Greetings. I have a 4 month old male american shorthair cat who has slight redness and mild swelling (pimple like in depth) on both the right and left corners of his mouth, this swelling extends directly below the corner of his mouth under his jaw on both sides. The skin is not broken. He is eating and running around the house as usual. He is an indoor cat. The swelling below the corner of his mouth appears the same on both the left and right side. Like a pattern. Iam lost here. Planning trip to the vet tomorrow. Thanks. Andi
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. On weekends, the staff at JustAnswer is small and critical life-threatening questions must be given a higher priority. I'm sorry to read about Timothy's condition.
There are a number of possible reasons for the lesions you have observed, and you're quite right to be concerned that it could possibly be something you cannot handle at home. Food sensitivities and allergies may manifest themselves in the lesions you've described. Bacteria in the saliva may also cause this kind of condition. chewing on an irritating substance or something to which he's allergic could do it as well. Another more serious condition that can first manifest itself in this way is an autoimmune condition. The margins between mucus membrane and skin like that seen around the mouth, eyes and rectum are places that autoimmune diseases often first appear. I don't want to worry you, but as I wrote earlier, you are quite justified in your concern for Timothy and a trip to your veterinarian is an excellent idea. In the meantime, you may want to mentally note what he eats, what his food dish is made of, whether there are strings or edges of things on which he may have been chewing, and how long it's been since you first noticed the lesions. If you should have further questions, I'll be more than happy to answer them for you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you so much! Amazing!. You are indeed talented vet Dr. Bob. I really love my cat!.

Andi K, Modesto, California, US Navy Veteran

PSC, Crohns 2001, Permanent Ileostomy 2011 Cancer survivor. Living life to the fullest. Great doctors at the VA Palo Alto California!.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.
Hi Andi, thank you. I hope all goes well for Timothy, he's a lucky cat to have such a loving owner! Let me know if I might be of any further help to you.
Warm regards,
Dr. Bob
P.S. My dad was a 26 year Navy man!
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in practice