Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

First freshened 2 yr.old Nubian (freshened in Feb) has developed

First freshened 2 yr.old Nubian (freshened in Feb) has developed a very hard lump(about the size of a large Brazil nut) in one side of her udder. That same side has "congested" feeling to the tissue near the upper attachment in an area the size of a small hand. She milks out fine, has no temp., or hot/red feeling to udder, CMT is negative, she has not tested for CL but comes from a CL clean herd. One of her 2 kids is still on her during the day and I milk 1x/day in the AM. Thank you!
Hi there,

It's great that you've ruled out mastitis, and that your goat is from a CL-free herd. That narrows things down quite a bit. While abscesses under the skin and not involving milk-producing tissues are always a possibility, this doesn't sound like one, as it is not hot or painful.

My first guess would be that this is a small cyst or area of benign hyperplastic tissue. We sometimes see nodules like this form in animals (and people, for that matter) who are producing milk and their mammary tissue is expanding and rearranging. They are completely benign, and unless they occur in a location where they are making it difficult to milk out that side and causing mastitis, there's not much to really do for them.

In rare cases, goats can get malignant mammary tumors. I would not expect this to be the case in such a young goat. To rule this out, a veterinarian could use a needle to take a sample of the lump, put it under the microscope, and look at the cells. If you continue to monitor the lump and it's not growing or changing, than it is doubtful that it is anything to worry about.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.