Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years working as a full time veterinarian

I have a dog who has a corn on her pad. I have a Cocker Spaniel

I have a dog who has a corn on her pad. I have a Cocker Spaniel and she's developed a corn on one of her pads on her left front paw. She's had xrays done and she does not have a fracture or splinter or glass stuck in her paw. The vet said there is nothing tha can be done. She put her on anti-inflammatory pills. The problem is it's very painful and she can't walk on it so she walks around on three legs. It's been two weeks now. I soak her paw in warm water with epsom salts and it's not helping. Is there something I can put on the corn to alleviate the pain, make it go away, and that it would be o.k. for her to lick...nothing toxic. I hear that greyhound dogs get this a lot but she's not a greyhound!! Why she got this, I don't know. I need to relieve her of this. Help!!

Hello. Thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

The corns can be surgically removed. Removal with a laser, instead of a scalpel blade, seems to be more effective in preventing the return of the corn.

Topically, you can apply hydrocortisone cream, and vitamin E oil, a few times a day.

The hydrocortisone is for inflammation.

The vitamin E oil helps with skin repair and keeps it soft.

I would try these protective boots. In some cases, the corn resolves without surgery.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please reply.