Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
Hello. This is Dr. Christian.
How long ago did he eat it? How much did he eat? How much does he weigh?
about 20 minutes ago - about size of a malt ball, maybe a little bit bigger
he weighs 50 pounds
Thank you for the information. Rat poison actually causes a clotting disorder in the affected animal, leading to excessive bleeding, anemia and death. The good news is that is not an immediate poisoning and can take 12-24 hours to start but can then last in the body for 2-3 weeks. The symptoms of a problem are pale gums, coughing, bruising anywhere on the body, lethargy, and blood in the stool or urine. The antidote is a prescription of vitamin K and it is very effective. It is given for 2-3 weeks until the rat poison is out of Radar's system. In this case, give him 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide orally. It will make him vomit and can be repeated 10 minutes later if necessary. Even though he may not have ingested much poison, it would be best to call your vet about getting a prescription for vitamin K. It is a very safe medication and relatively cheap. If you have more questions please let me know.
should I give him the peroxide now and should I take him to an emergency center tonite
I'd give the peroxide now.
The good news is that it doesn't work immediately. How long until your regular vet opens?
about 9:00 am
How many hours? It's 7 pm here.
about 11 hours I am in Maryland
Ok. You could wait until morning to be seen rather than going to the ER.
Once the vitamin K is given then things are great and he should be fine.
thank you so much for your help!
you're welcome. Good luck.
Sorry. You can do the rating now.