Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.

just read your article on small dry patchy skinand smelly coat,

just read your article on small dry patchy skinand smelly coat, my spaniel is exactly like this the vet checked for mites none. sent me away with malaseb x 1.0 shampoo this has stopped the greasiness but he is still scabby I have given him worming tabs last week as I thought round worm, can you explain what round worm does look like on his coat, I worry incase it is infectious my husband suffers diabetes and has blisters on his body maybe im over concerned here. but thank you in advance for any advice.
I am sorry to hear about Buster.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Round worms are internal parasites, and would not cause skin lesions. You might be thinking of ringworm, which is not a worm at all, but a fungal skin infection. Your veterinarian could shine a "Wood's light" or an ultraviolet light on Buster to see if there is any ringworm. However, ringworm is mostly seen in young animals.

If he is itchy, you could try antihistamines like Benedryl or Claritin ( but NOT Claritin D). A spaniel would take 25 mg of Benedryl 3 times daily, or one 5 mg Claritin once daily.

Fish oil is a good source of essential FA's, and might also help with itching.

Vitamin A in high doses ( but can be toxic if the dose is too high) is sometimes helpful. I would need to know his exact weight to recommend a dose.

He may have a skin infection, and need antibiotics.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Thank you for the good rating.