Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience.
55012488

My chickens have a grey crusty growth on their coombs, but

Customer Question

My chickens have a grey crusty growth on their coombs, but appear fine otherwise. It is not cold so frostbite is not an issue.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
Can you tell me, please, if the following is what you're seeing?

www.fao-ectad-gaborone.org/en/IMG/pdf/Picture_Book-2.pdf

Please scroll down to "fowl pox". If you can't open this link, please google "picture book of infectious poultry diseases".
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I could not open the site you sent, but looked up Avian Pox and that does look like what is going on in my flock. Thank you

Thank you. Here's a concise write up on avian pox for you: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/fowl-pox-in-chickens.aspx

Please let me know if this link works for you. If not, I'll copy the entire article and send that to you.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The link did not work. Please send me the article.

Thank you

Sorry for the troubles. Here you go:

Fowl pox is a viral disease that mostly affects the featherless skin of chickens.

Fowl Pox Symptoms
Fowl pox causes round, raised lesions with “scabby” centers. Most skin lesions are located on the comb, wattle and face, and occasionally on the legs. Fowl pox can also infect the lining of the mouth and the windpipe. The lesions in the throat can grow to cause complete blockage and possibly death by suffocation. Chickens could be temporarily or permanently blinded by pox lesions if it spreads to the eyes.

Can it spread?
Fowl pox tends to spread slowly; it will grow in any break in the skin.

Fowl Pox Prevention
Mosquitoes serve as mechanical carriers of the disease, so decrease mosquitoes in your environment. Because ordinary management and sanitation practices will not prevent the disease, fowl pox is most often prevented by vaccination. Vaccination is recommended for long-lived chickens, such as egg layers and breeders, and also in areas known to have high fowl-pox risk. The live vaccine is administered in the wing web when the chickens are six to 10 weeks old. By controlling aggression between birds, you’ll help decrease skin damage in which the pox virus could infect.

Fowl Pox Treatment
There is no treatment for fowl pox once a bird is infected. As long as the chicken continues eating and drinking, fowl pox is a limited infection that resolves itself in about two weeks with little risk of fatality. Successful recovery from infection results in immunity.

About the Authors: Dr. Jose A. Linares, DVM, ACPV is the Resident Director of the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory, Poultry Diagnostic Laboratory in Gonzales, TX. Dr. John El-Attrache, Ph.D is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathobiology in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Texas A&M University.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.