Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

My rabbit has a black lesion on her neck. It has a hole in

My rabbit has a black lesion on her neck. It has a hole in the center of it. She acts fine. What could be the issue and does she need treatment?
Hi there,

It's good to hear that Dipper is feeling well and acting fine. Yes, I would recommend having the lesion treated by a vet.

In a young rabbit I would suspect that this is one of two things: an abscess (these sometimes rupture, leaving a hole, and the bruised skin in the area can appear black), or a cuterebra. Cuterebra are parasites that live in holes under the skin-- they are fly larvae that mature over months in there. A vet can flush and treat the area, remove the parasite if there is one, and give antibiotics if they are needed. These are the most likely options in my opinion; however, it's tough to guess without seeing the bunny, and it could be something else.

Rabbits often hide their symptoms to avoid being noticed by predators, so even if she's acting normal, I'd still go ahead and treat this before it gets any worse.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.