Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My Maltees Shitzu has had a second tick in less than a year,

Customer Question

My Maltees Shitzu has had a second tick in less than a year, last time we nearly lost her and it cost a lot of money at the vets. This time I found and removed the tick, that was twenty four hours ago, she is having some difficulty breathing and cannot move her rear end, I cannot afford the vets bill again, what can I do to help her more? She is eight years old.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Daisy.
First, we must be careful not to assume that a tick borne disease is the cause of her distress.

If she does have a tick disease, then there is no question she will need antibiotics.
With cost restrictions, your vet may be willing to at least prescribe medication without seeing Daisy if it is really a life or death decision.

Generally, most vets will prescribe doxcycyline for tick diseases.

If painful,
The only over-the-counter non-steroidal anti-inflammatory I recommend in dogs (NOT CATS) is aspirin. Due to potential toxicity issues if not dosed correctly, many veterinarians do not consider Tylenol, Ibuprofen (Advil), and Aleve safe.
You can give 10mg per pound of body weight up to every 12 hours. Just remember, there are different pill sizes for aspirin, so look to see if it is regular strength or maximum strength.
Aspirin can be upsetting to the stomach, so discontinue if any digestive upset and definitely consult a vet if not helpful. Sometimes giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid 1 hour beforehand can be helpful.
Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.

***Do not give aspirin or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication if your pet is already on prednisone or any other anti-inflammatory medication***
Severe stomach and intestinal ulcers can result from giving a pet aspirin, tylenol or ibuprofen when they are also on medications like Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Prednisone, Metecam, Zubrin, and Previcox***

Now, either way, if she is painful for another reason like a spinal problem, you will still want to restrict her movement as much as possible.

If not voluntarily wanting to drink much, you can try to stimulate her thirst by adding canned tuna juice to her water (change frequently), or even offering some gatorade or pedialyte.

Very sorry that Daisy is not feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the reply but Daisy cannot drink or take anything in at the moment because of paralysis. She is alert and looks at me but no longer licks water from my fingers. I guess what I really want to know is due to her history, will she recover or should i be thinking of having her put to sleep. That is not what I want to happen but do not like her to be in distress. She can move her head and tail but no legs and her tougue is sticking out and she drools. How long will this last do you think?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I am very sorry to hear about her distress. In the absence of being able to get her in for some good supportive therapy, I think we both agree her quality of life is poor. I would have to answer that consideration to do euthanasia is fair.

This condition could last for days with her continuing to decline even further in health.

I'm very sorry to hear what is happening and truly wish I could do more.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Daisy died the day we spoke, very sad for her. Thank you. Dawn
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I am very sorry for your loss Dawn.
You and your family have my deepest sympathy and support.

Petloss support resources:
Pet Loss Hotlines

Rainbowbridge Grief Support

I hope the above resources may also be useful. Wish I could have helped more, but best answers I could provide.