Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Heelo I have a 12 year old toyfox terrier .. all of

Heelo I have a 12 year old toyfox terrier .. all of a sudden last week my dad woke up to our dog and his stomach is blown up.. like he gained 8 lbs over you knoe what can cause this to happen?? and what can maybe help him..Thank you

Hi there,

When we see sudden abdominal bloating like you describe, there are a couple of things we think about. If this happened last week and hasn't gone down, I think the most likely is excess fluid accumulating between the abdominal organs and the body wall. This is a serious condition and can be brought on by a number of things, from heart disease to cancer. Other causes include masses in the abdomen (these usually grow slowly, not suddenly), or GDV (the stomach fills with gas and twists on itself). GDV is an emergency and usually accompanied by vomiting, and if this has been present since last week, is not what is happening in your case.

What you need to do is take your dog to a local veterinarian who can use and ultrasound to see if this is indeed fluid and get a sample of the fluid to figure out where it is coming from. There is usually a second problem causing the fluid buildup that needs to be addressed, or the fluid will just keep coming back.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.