Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have 2 female geese and 1 is broody and about 15 eggs.

I have 2 female geese and 1 is broody and laid about 15 eggs. We have trouble getting her off the nest to lock her up at night. She has been laying and sitting for about 6 weeks and is getting thin, how can I break this cycle please?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,

If you don't have a gander, some geese will get quite broody and will lose a lot of body condition trying to incubate their eggs (as you are seeing!) Removing the nest and the eggs will sometimes just drive the goose to make a new nest somewhere else. And geese often don't differentiate between eggs and other things inside the nest-- they will try to hatch whatever is in there.

You may need to put her somewhere that she cannot nest (like a large dog crate) for several days (with plenty of food and water) and break up the nest entirely to break her broodiness. Alternatively, you can move the nest inside her house where it's warm, let her brood, and put food and water where she can reach it from the nest (essentially just giving her supportive care for a month or two while she continues to brood.

I would also check to make sure she's the only one laying in that nest. Sometimes, other geese will lay into a nest that's being incubated, and that doesn't help the situation.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you very much for your reply I will try' what you have suggested. We have kept her in her large pen and put the eggs in a good spot yesterday but she hasn't sat on them yet. Thanks again. Karen
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.
You're quite welcome. Don't hesitate to let me know what other questions you have.
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.
Hi Karen,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Raggity. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus