Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a 4 week old teacup pig. My kids are sick with flu.

Customer Question

I have a 4 week old teacup pig. My kids are sick with flu. Pig recently started 'barking' when running. No loss of energy nor appetite. Could I give pig a small dose of tamiflu to be sure she doesn't have it?
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,

With the exception of the H1N1 "swine flu," the strains of flu that pigs get are not the same as the ones that people get. For the seasonal flu that gets passed from child to child each year, infection of a pig is very difficult, if not impossible for the virus. I'd be more concerned that your pig has a bacterial illness that is causing barking or coughing-- these are much more common in pet pigs.

While Tamiflu can be used in pigs, it's unlikely to do much more than reduce symptoms by a day (if flu is indeed the cause of symptoms, which I don't think is likely in her case). It also often causes vomiting, which can rapidly dehydrate small pigs.

I'd encourage you to skip it, and if the cough or barking sounds persist, have her evaluated by a vet and an appropriate antibiotic prescribed if needed.