Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 29 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX cat was diagnosed with a urinary infection

Customer Question

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX cat was diagnosed with a urinary infection last year the vet put him on star-ids tablets for it and it done well ad her was on proper cat biscuits for it as well i cant remember the name of the tablets so i just wonted to know we have tablets here they r pedx 5mg tablets but they r for our dog is that them can u use them on a cat for this tretment
Submitted: 10 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Rebecca :

Hello Judy,

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about your cat.

Rebecca :

I tried to look up what r pedx 5 mg tablets are, but could not find it. Could you give me more information about the pills?

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

If a cat is straining to urinate, it can mean a urinary infection, but more often it is due to crystals and inflammation in the bladder. In these cases, antibiotics do not help.

Rebecca :

I hope you can see what I am writing. I am not seeing responses from you.

Rebecca :

Sometimes there are problem with chat format. I can try another way to connect with you if I do not hear from you.

Customer :

it is prednisone tablets

Rebecca :

Thanks for that information!

Rebecca :

That could reduce inflammation in his bladder.

Rebecca :

If he is eating and drinking, and is passing some urine when he strains, then you could try giving him 1/2 of a 4 mg prednisone.

Rebecca :

If he is not eating, or if he strains, but does not pass any urine, he could be "blocked" and unable to urinate.

Rebecca :

If that is happening, he needs to have the blockage treated as soon as possible.

Customer :

so i can use it on him and the proper biscuits they r 5mg tablets and yes he is eating and he does not use a tray he goes out side

Rebecca :

Yes, then try 1/2 pill ( 2.5 mg).

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can help with, or answer?

Customer :

ok thank u very much i really hope this works because i can not afford to have any thing else done so were can i bye those biscuits from

Rebecca :

What kind are they?

Rebecca :

There are more than one kind recommended for this condition in cats.

Rebecca :

Some of these diets are "prescription diets" and you can get them from a veterinarian, or online with a "prescription" from your veterinarian.

Customer :

purina one Urinary Tract Health Formula

Rebecca :

That is usually available in pet stores.

Rebecca :

Purine ONE is not a prescription diet, and is carried in stores.

Rebecca :

Is there anything else I can help with or answer?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Judy,
The website says you are offline now. I hope I was helpful and answered all your questions. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Hello Judy,
How is your cat today?