My dog had surgery on this past Wednesday. the bones below her elbow bowed because (I believe he said) the tibia stopped growing but the other bones continued and bowed the tibia out... She was developing arthritis in her wrist and elbow from the way she walked, and he said she could lose her leg to arthritis in the next year or two, but this surgery could help stop that from happening by straightening her leg and relieving the strain on her joints from the way she use to walk to compensate for the bowing. They removed some of the longer bone, broke and straightened the bowed bone, set it all and now she has pins in her leg holding it all together while it heals.
She did okay when she came home. She slept most of the day on Thursday. She had a few bad moments through the night, but it was expected. Friday she seemed to do a little better. She peed normally, she even tried to put some weight on her bad leg when she was outside for a bathroom break. She also ate some cottage cheese (which the vet recommended for the calcium) and drank some whole milk. On Saturday she seemed even better. She wouldn't stay in her play pen, she kept trying to climb out so I let her sleep in bed with me (on a leash so she wouldn't jump off), she had 2 small but solid/formed poops, peed normally, used her leg more.
Then early early early today (about 4, 5am) she threw up some food. Not much, just a bit. After she went back to bed. Woke up, had her pain meds... a while later gave her the antibiotic. Took her to the bathroom where she just peed. she sat outside for a while for some fresh air... then I took her in for a nap. She sat up like she was going to jump off the bed... I saw her looking at the water dish and assumed she was thirsty. I made her stay, got the dish, held it up to her and she projectile vomited this mucusy, slimy vomit everywhere.
This was a few hours ago. I've withheld food and water from her. She hasn't vomited since... her nose is cool and she's currently resting somewhat comfortably... but she just doesn't seem herself. her butt is quivering. We don't have 24/7 vets around here... and the clinic where this was done is just over an hour away. They have vets on call for emergencies... when should I call? Should I withhold food water and meds until tomorrow and call in the morning? Should I offer some water, see if she holds it down and if not call? Do I give her the meds? not sure where to go from here.
I guess another concern is that Circovirus that is going around. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan (not far from the WI boarder) and 6 dogs have died from this new weird virus downstate near Ann Arbor.