EmergencyVets
EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years of experience..
63977546

My dog had surgery on this past Wednesday. the bones below

Customer Question

My dog had surgery on this past Wednesday. the bones below her elbow bowed because (I believe he said) the tibia stopped growing but the other bones continued and bowed the tibia out... She was developing arthritis in her wrist and elbow from the way she walked, and he said she could lose her leg to arthritis in the next year or two, but this surgery could help stop that from happening by straightening her leg and relieving the strain on her joints from the way she use to walk to compensate for the bowing. They removed some of the longer bone, broke and straightened the bowed bone, set it all and now she has pins in her leg holding it all together while it heals.

She did okay when she came home. She slept most of the day on Thursday. She had a few bad moments through the night, but it was expected. Friday she seemed to do a little better. She peed normally, she even tried to put some weight on her bad leg when she was outside for a bathroom break. She also ate some cottage cheese (which the vet recommended for the calcium) and drank some whole milk. On Saturday she seemed even better. She wouldn't stay in her play pen, she kept trying to climb out so I let her sleep in bed with me (on a leash so she wouldn't jump off), she had 2 small but solid/formed poops, peed normally, used her leg more.

Then early early early today (about 4, 5am) she threw up some food. Not much, just a bit. After she went back to bed. Woke up, had her pain meds... a while later gave her the antibiotic. Took her to the bathroom where she just peed. she sat outside for a while for some fresh air... then I took her in for a nap. She sat up like she was going to jump off the bed... I saw her looking at the water dish and assumed she was thirsty. I made her stay, got the dish, held it up to her and she projectile vomited this mucusy, slimy vomit everywhere.

This was a few hours ago. I've withheld food and water from her. She hasn't vomited since... her nose is cool and she's currently resting somewhat comfortably... but she just doesn't seem herself. her butt is quivering. We don't have 24/7 vets around here... and the clinic where this was done is just over an hour away. They have vets on call for emergencies... when should I call? Should I withhold food water and meds until tomorrow and call in the morning? Should I offer some water, see if she holds it down and if not call? Do I give her the meds? not sure where to go from here.

I guess another concern is that Circovirus that is going around. I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan (not far from the WI boarder) and 6 dogs have died from this new weird virus downstate near Ann Arbor.

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  EmergencyVets replied 1 year ago.

EmergencyVets :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and will be happy to help you today..

EmergencyVets :

I am concerned at this point and think a follow-up phone call with this vet and/or a follow-up exam may be warranted.. Is she on any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications? Metacam? Deramaxx? Rimadyl? Previcox? If so - please stop their administration for now.

EmergencyVets :

Because she is vomiting - oral meds are not the best for an upset stomach and they need to stay down for 3-4 hours to have complete absorption - SO she may benefit from an exam - recheck kidney values ( if she is on one of those meds) the starting pepcid, an anti-emetic would be good.

EmergencyVets :

You can try first to re-introduce food and water after witholding for 4 hours..

EmergencyVets :

Tough to say what has caused the vomiting - Pain pills can do it ( tramadol, morphine, fentanyl patches) but so can the non-steroiddals I listed, along with sensitivities to antibiotics, etc.

EmergencyVets :

When you do a small food and water trial - do not give her more than 10 laps of water and 2 tbsp of food.

EmergencyVets :

Hope this helps.. Please don't hesitate to ask further questions if you have concerns or are not satisfied by my answer.. If no further questions please Rate and Accept my answer.. That and positive feedback are the only way I receive credit for my time.. Take care and good luck. Dr. Chad

Customer:

She is taking 25mg of Rimadyl 2x daily (once in the am... once in the pm) Her oral antibiotic is Clavamox. again, am and pm. (I give it to her in a dark room since it is light sensitive.

Customer:

Should I withhold the meds till I call the vet in the am?

EmergencyVets :

I would with hold both meds - as they both can cause Vomiting - The clavamox can just cause nausea - the Rimadyl I worry about kidney issues secondary to it .. Do you have Tramadol to give as well ? or just the Rimadyl for apin ? Does she seem painful at all?

Customer:

Just the Rimadyl. She seems like she's sore, but she's trying to put weight on it and doesn't really cry or whimper. She just limps. But when she's resting she seems fine.

Customer:

I will try to give her water in a few hours and I won't give her the meds tonight. If she vomits after the water should I call the after hours vet?

EmergencyVets :

I would call if she vomits after water

EmergencyVets :

Unfortunately I feel it is safest to hold off Rimadyl although I want her comfortable..

Customer:

Okay. I'll just make sure she stays in bed and sleeps the rest of the day until I can call the vet tomorrow. I'll try some water at about 6 or 7. thanks for the advice.

EmergencyVets, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Emergency Veterinarian 10 years of experience..