Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My cat needs to travel long distance and couldnt find benedryl

Customer Question

My cat needs to travel long distance and couldnt find benedryl original so i got childrens paedamin instead as it was the only thing with diphenhydramine in it, but it also has phenylephrine in it, is it still safe to give him this stuff, and if so how much should he have? Thankyou
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for writing in.
Phenylephrine, while overall safe in cats in small doses, might potentially cause increased heart rate, abnormal heart rhythm, or changes in blood pressure. So, while it's ideal to not give the drug with phenylephrine in it, if that is the only option you have, then I would not give any more than 5mg of phenylephrine at a time (every 8-12 hours).

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so how much is that in mils, as it is liquid and will it put him to sleep, its my only otion unfortunaltely

Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
You will have to look at the package to see how many mg/ml (milligrams per milliliter). FOR EXAMPLE, if the package says the phenylephrine is 5mg/ml, then you would only give 1 ml total (and no more). You also need to look at the amount of benadryl (diphenhydramine) in the product, and only give 1mg/lb of body weight at a time. So, you will need to look and see how many mg/ml of benadryl is present in the product, and not exceed a total of 1mg/lb of body weight per dose.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
I found more information on the children's paedamin, and with the amounts of diphenhydramine and phenylephrine present, an average dose would be 4ml for a 10 pound cat.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 1 year ago.
Why did you rate my service as bad, when I actually gave you the amount to give a cat? Please let me know so I can help you further and improve my service for you.

Thanks,
Dr. Dave