Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My three year old, male cat (fixed, strictly indoor) has a

My three year old, male cat (fixed, strictly indoor) has a minor discharge from the corner of his right eye. There's some redness. He blinks, but otherwise doesn't show major discomfort (he doesn't rub or scratch.) It started yesterday evening. I think it may just be some rough housing with 12-year old male buddy. (Also fixed, strictly indoor. They don't "fight"). A friend suggests it may be allergies. Does he need to go to vet now? Or is it okay to monitor? Can I put anything on it? Or just clean any discharge? (PS: discharge is clear, or light yellow and may appear every few hours.)

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is the discharge always there?

Can you see the eye itself? Any film covering the eye?

Thank you!

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, there's been a little discharge in the corner of the right eye. I've only had to clear it twice since about 9 pm last night. There's no film covering the eye and the redness is from the corner to the eyebrow, where the skin is pinkish. The eye is clearly visible, but not as, um, wide?? as the left.

Thank you Ken for that information...

Most likely this is caused by rough housing and is a minor irritation. We always worry about a corneal ulcer which is a laceration on the cornea when cats play but since the discharge is clear, this is only a minor irritation. If this were caused by allergies, Ken, this would be in both eyes.

For now, this does not sound like an emergency....purchase Artificial Tears by Bausch and Lomb at the pharmacy and apply a few drops to this eye every 4-6 hrs. This will help flush away any irritants including bacteria that may be causing Jazz this discomfort.

If Jazz is still having issues with this Monday, have your vet examine Jazz to be sure we have not missed something important.

Does that make sense to you, Ken?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Ken for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I will send you a follow up in a few days to see how Jazz is doing and if I can answer any other questions.

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just as a follow-up, there's a tiny scab in the corner of Jazz' right eye. It is wide open, with very little redness. There's been no discharge since I gave him the eye drops. (Which he did not enjoy one bit!) I really want to thank you for your advice. Even though I've been a cat owner since 1993, I still tend to go a bit overboard at times with my worries. I spoil them horribly, I know, but not to the point of ill health. (Weight gain means no treats and dry food.)

I would ask, though, Fancy Feast Appetizers. My cats absolutely love them and I figure with real animal flesh, small portions, it shouldn't be bad for them. Any opinion?

Good for you, Ken....it appears that this area is healing....

I believe that any good treat can be given in moderation as long as the main meal is a good high quality cat food...give Jazz the treats...I also give these and my cats love them...I do not give too many but I would never deprive them of this small treat, Ken...

Nothing wrong Ken with spoiling your babies or worrying about them. They are our children!! You are doing great!!
Good morning, Ken. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Jazz. Is his eye doing any better? Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The eye is completely back to normal, thank you! The little scab in the corner of the right eye is gone as is the redness.

That is great news, Ken....I am sure you are relieved!

I hope you and Jazz have a great day!!