Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

hi, my neighbours cat is 15 years old, and has persistent

hi, my neighbour's cat is 15 years old, and has persistent eczema on her hind legs, back and stomach. She now has little fur on her back legs and today she has a weeping wound on the inside of her hind leg. I've mentioned this to her owner and he says he sometimes rubs sorbelene creme when she comes in, but he's not too concerned , she's old and 'seems fine'.

is there anything I can recommend he do (other than take her to a vet) than might at least relieve some of the irritation?
Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that the cat is not being well cared for. I'm always frustrated by the "she's old" argument-- I mean, Grandma doesn't really NEED that hip replacement, right? It doesn't seem to bother her if she doesn't walk around, and really, she's 80. 80!

Most skin disease in cats has some allergic basis, but a weeping wound indicates infection. Cats are amazing at healing, but I can't think of anything you can do for this cat at home as a one-time treatment that is likely to be effective. Cleaning the wound gently with soap and water may help, but treating things like this generally requires antibiotics and regular cleaning managing of the wound. If the owner is not at all invested in getting her the medication she needs and taking care of the wound, catching her and cleaning it once or putting on a topical ointment (which cats usually lick off) isn't going to do much for her.

Is there a local animal control or humane group that might be able to convince him to take better care of her?

I'm sorry that I don't have more specific recommendations for her, but it really sounds as if it needs veterinary attention.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your reply. It confirmed what I had thought - that she really needs to see a vet. I think I might try to offer to take her myself in a couple of days if he still hasn't done anything about it.

I think that sounds like a very good idea. I hope he goes along with it, or better yet, takes better care of her himself.
Hi Christina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus