Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFECTS OF TREAMENT WTIH LUKERAN FOR MULTIPLE

Customer Question

WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFECTS OF TREAMENT WTIH LUKERAN FOR MULTIPLE MYELOMA IN DOGS AND THE SUCESS RATES
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

thanks

Hello again Debbie and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Side Effects : Leukeran { Chlorambucil } is regarded as a safe drug in the dog but sometimes side effects can occur.

A. I personally have seen gastro-enteritis and lethargy as the most frequent early side effect in dogs under my care and sometimes hair loss when it is given more long term but of course this is a more minor side effect.

B What you really would be worrying about would be suppression of the bone marrow and a subsequent anaemia and drop in the white cell count and hence the dog will be more open to infections. However the supervising vet will be running blood tests from time to time during the chemotherapy course and will get early warning of bone marrow problems.

2. Success rate? : This is more difficult to answer since every cancer is different and even individual cancers of one subset can vary and another factor to cloud my reply is that often Leukeran is given in combination with other chemotherapy drugs. What I can say though is that Leukeran is a valid chemotherapy drug which can often bring about good results. Check out this article { Mast cell tumours } as an example : LINK

3. You can reference this web site for further information on the topic : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

my dog had disseminated skin lesions that are all over her and then has converted to multiple mylemoa, with bione envolvement... just hoping it does the trick, her pain is contorlled

thanks for your help

Hello again Debbie,

Sorry to hear about your dog,

It is worth trying Leukeran if your vet agrees, sometimes though complete cures are not possible but the chance of some degree of remission with good quality of life is also possible.

Fingers crossed for your dog ...

Good luck,

Scott
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

she is a valuable part of out family we are optimistic thanks

Hello again,

Well the main thing in this sort of situation is if you can do everything possible for your dog , but if you are inquiring about Leukeran then I am sure this is the case ...

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again Debbie,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on your dog's progress.

Kindest regards,

Scott

If I can ever advise you at any future point then you can contact me directly via this LINK
{ Please bookmark it }
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

THAT WAS A NICE NOTE TO CHECK UP....ALBA IS DOING GREAT 9 DAYS INTO PREDNISONE AND LEUKARN DAILY SHE HAS DECREASED HER PAIN MEDS TO NO CODEINE AT NIGHT AND JUST ON TRAMADOL Q 8 HOURS FOR PAIN, SHE WAS ON 30 OF COEDINE AT NIGHT AND TRAMADOL Q 6-5 HOURS
AND SHE IS BACK TO ACTIVITIES OF DAILY LIVING, BARKING AT NOTHING IN THE YARD ADN BEGGING FOR TREATS ADN LATTE RUNS TO BEG FOR BISCUITS....WHAT A DIFFERENCE A WEEK MAKES THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

LAB WORK NEXT WEEK ADN

Hello again Debbie,

Thanks very much for the follow up, I was wondering how she was getting on, glad everything is a bit better for her ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Scott....just wanted to let you know that we had to put alba to sleep this week....she gave it a good fight, was having more pain and we took her i for a x-ray her pelvis was breaking down from the ca and she had a stress fracture on her femor head

we were blessed to have her for a whiel in our life i thought you would want to know

thanks again for your help

Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.
Hi Debbie,

So sorry hear your news, you did everything you could though, that's the main thing ...

Regards,

Scott