Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience including dogs, cats, and pocket pets
58825837

My 7 year old dog has had foul with blood in it, but

My 7 year old dog has had foul urine with blood in it, but has had no other symptoms (frequency, straining, fever, change in eating or drinking patterns). The first antibiotics didn't seem to work. I am on the second now, but after two doses still see a lot of blood. An x-ray didn't show stones. What could be going on?
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question.

Is your dog male or female?

Is your dog neutered/spayed?

Has your vet performed an ultrasound on your dog yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lucy is female, and has been spayed. She had an x-ray that didn't reveal any abnormality and her urine culture after a week or so of antibiotics showed no growth (but the specimen was murky and foul).

No ultrasound yet. Again, she seems completely normal aside from the urine.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am very sorry to hear that Lucy has been having blood in her urine. Your vet sounds like they have checking the correct tests to try to determine the exact cause to why she is having blood in her urine. A urine culture, x-ray and two rounds of antibiotics will help detect bladder stones and rule out a urinary tract infection. Since the antibiotics are not helping and her urine culture is negative the next best step would be to look for a growth or mass that may be present in her urinary bladder which could be mildly bleeding. A mass could be benign in the fact that is not aggressive though there is a chance that she could also have type of cancerous tumor unfortunately. Bladder stones are still possible also as 20% of bladder stones will not show up clearly on an x-ray. Other then a mass or bladder stones some dogs can develop a disorder in which they have inflammation in the urinary bladder that is not due to bacteria or infection. This is not common though would be suspected if stones and a mass or completely ruled out.

The best next test would be an abdominal ultrasound. This is non-invasive way to look directly into her urinary bladder and her kidneys to search for any stones or masses. She should not need to be sedated for an ultrasound and this test is not painful in any way.

If she did have a bladder mass or stone then unfortunately the best treatment would be surgery to remove the mass or stones. Your vet can also send the samples to a lab to determine what type of stones or mass was present to give you a better idea on hoe to help her after surgery for prevention and treatment.

At this time I would definitely ask your vet about having an ultrasound performed to help you get closer to the exact diagnosis to what is causing blood in her urine.

Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply by clicking on the "reply to" button. Thank you for your question!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could urine have a smell foul for reasons other than an infection?

Yes, blood in the urine alone could cause a foul odor in the urine especially if the blood has been sitting in the bladder for awhile and then finally passes out. Usually if the urine culture is negative and the antibiotics are not helping then the blood would be the main cause of the odor that you are smelling.