Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have a 14 yr old goose with a large, fluid-filled area on

Customer Question

I have a 14 yr old goose with a large, fluid-filled area on her thigh that extends under her, almost to the opposite leg. It has grown over the past two weeks and is squishy to the touch, like a water balloon. The fluid that is draining from it looks like coffee and is very warm, but no noticeable odor. So far a full 8 oz has drained. What should I be doing for her to prevent infection (Baytril?) and to make her comfortable? And what do you think is the cause? She is otherwise healthy.

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about Webster's problem! It sounds as if this was either an abscess or possibly an old hematoma. It could be something as simple as whacking her leg on something, slipping and rupturing a blood vessel, or getting a fragment of bedding or other foreign body poking into her skin in that area lying down.

Draining it was a good start. If you have access to a syringe (no needle needed) and some dilute chlorhexidine solution (sold as Nolvasan), flushing the pocket out may also be helpful. I like to dilute it until it looks like Windex. I don't recommend hydrogen peroxide or alcohol-- they do more harm than good.

Yes, Baytril is a good idea. Whether or not this started out with bacteria inside it, since it is now an open wound, it will have them in there soon enough. She may benefit from some aspirin (2.5 mg per pound of goose, up to 3 times per day) to help with any fever she may get and to make her more comfortable.

Sometimes, the skin that was overlying the abscess or hematoma was stretched during its formation and may die, leaving a hole that looks larger than the one you made with the scalpel. In most cases, this heals with time. Drainage may continue for a few days but should lessen day by day.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have some Chlorhexidine, but was waiting to hear from you before using it. Any suggestions as to how to get aspirin in her??

If it were a hematoma, wouldn't the drainage be thicker? Also, will there likely be pus as the majority of the "other" stuff is drained? The swelling was initially larger than my fist but, as I mentioned, it is squishy. How much Baytril would you suggest, and where is the best place to inject it on a goose?

Thank you so much for your help! Webbie is special to us as she chose to live here 14 years ago and never left. She has a special bond with my dog and has raised a bantam chicken as her own baby. :)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I replied to this once, but I don't know where it went...

Dosage for Baytril would be what? How should I go about getting aspirin in her? Can I mix with water and shoot down her throat? I do have some Nolvasan, so I will flush the pocket today with a diluted solution. Boy, is she gonna be thrilled... :)

Thank you for your help!

Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.
Oh I know. I'm sure having that flushed is not at the top of things she'd like to do today!

You can either dissolve the meds in water and give that way or you can grind them up (a coffee grinder works well) with any food treat she enjoys and try to get her to eat them that way.

The dose for Baytril is 10 mg per kg (about 5 mg per pound).
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Webster. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus