Dr. Jeff
Dr. Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  12+ years small animal general practice

My elderly Pug has stiff joints and limps from hip pain. We

My elderly Pug has stiff joints and limps from hip pain. We had been giving him baby asperin which was very effective. He acts like a puppy again because he has no pain. We can go for walks and he plays with our other Pug BUT he started having runny stools so we have stopped the asperin treatments. Now he is back to being sore and he is very depressed. You can see on his face he is in pain. What can we give him that will help with the pain but not tear up his stomach?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. Aspirin (like other NSAIDs) can have effects on the GI tract, but keep in mind this incident of diarrhea could have coincidental. If he still has runny stools, you can give a 1/4 tablet of Immodium AD twice daily. This can firm up the stools and help with the urgency.
As for ways to manage the arthritis pain, it may help to discuss some of the dog specific NSAIDs that are much less likely to cause an issue than aspirin. There are a number of products such as previcoxx, metacam, deramaxx, rimadyl, etc. Any drug in this group has a very slight chance for side effects in the GI tract, but much less likely than aspirin. So, it is probably worth discussing these various options with your vet.
As for other home options, aspirin is the only over the counter med that I will use in the dog (and that is rare). Advil (ibuprofen)and tylenol are nasty and should never be used. So, I do not have any other great home options at this time.
I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff
Hi Jeanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sumo. How is everything going?

Dr. Jeff