Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I have a mix breed husky X. A few months agao he began to cough

I have a mix breed husky X. A few months agao he began to cough sounding like he was trying to clear his throat of phlegm. Initially I had thought he had something stuck in his throat, (we live in the prairies and there are a lot of foxtails). It continued for approximately a month and a half then it moved into his nose and it sounds like he has a sinus cold and "snertles" and sort of wheezes then it's like he inhales when a person does to clear their nose when they have a cold and sort of chokes on the phlegm and then he's fine. This doesn't seem to bother him when he's active but when he's in a relaxed state. I took him to a vet and he said that it could be a partial collapse of his trachea and gave him so bronchodialtors. It has almost been 14 days , the meds are done tomorrow and there doesn't seem to be an improvement. He is overweight but we have been working on it and he has lost almost ten pounds over the summer.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Tonka's cough, nasal stuffiness and wheezing.

I suspect his cough started because of irritation from something causing increased mucous production and dripping down the back of his throat.

Dogs very rarely get nasal stuffiness from allergies, they usually get itchy skin and ears when they are allergic to something, but we cannot completely discount that as a possibility.

More commonly we see nasal inflammation secondary to dental disease (as some of the tooth roots end up near the nasal cavity). If he has a bad tooth, periodontal disease or gum disease this is possible.

Other possibilities are accidentally inhaling foreign bodies such as grass awns or even grass blades or pine needles, a nasal polyp or a fungal infection. A tumor at his age would be very unlikely, but possible.

At this point because he isn't responding to the medications given I recommend diagnostics to look further into his stuffiness.

The next steps would be a nasal scope to look for a mass or a foreign body, radiographs of his tooth roots to look for signs of an infected root and radiographs of nose and sinuses to look for signs of an infection or mass and possibly cultures (bacterial or fungal) if signs of infection are present.

At home you can run a humidifier or bring him into the bathroom with you when you run a hot shower or bath. The steam thins the mucous and soothes his airways so he can breathe more easily.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi Carole,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tonka. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara