Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

I have 2 10 mo old calves that we fed until we got pasture

I have 2 10 mo old calves that we fed until we got pasture to let them graze on, now they seem to be getting skinny so we figured not good pasture and have gone back to feeding them feed and better hay. They still seem to not be gaining weight, could there be something else wrong?
Hi there,

Have you dewormed your calves this summer? If not, I'd recommend an Ivermectin dewormer, as parasitism can keep them from gaining weight. If so, I'd recommend submitting a fecal sample to your vet to make sure your deworming protocol has been effective. In recent years, resistance to dewormers has been documented.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks and no we have not dewormed them this summer. Do you recommend it as a injection or the pour on kind? If this is the problem how soon after we deworm them should we start to see results?

Either kind is fine, I've had good response from both. Go with the one you are more comfortable giving/applying. Usually within a few weeks, you will see them start to put weight on again.

Since it's both calves and they seem otherwise healthy, I'd suspect either parasites or just that you need a higher grain ration to keep them gaining. If they are having diarrhea or continue to lose in spite of deworming and increasing the feed (as you describe doing), that's when I recommend having the vet out to look at them.

I'm not sure where you're located, but if the weight loss has occurred just on pasture and over the course of weeks in the summer, sometimes calves that are moving around more in hot weather won't choose to graze as much as they eat when they are offered tasty grain. Sometimes you can get weight loss just from not wanting to eat as much in hot weather combined with moving around more on pasture that will bounce after a few weeks back on grain.

If they have a good appetite and normal manure, and are not coughing or having nasal discharge, I'm reluctant to think that there's a serious medical reason underlying the weight loss.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just an update....we wormed them and they are looking great. Thanks!!!

That's excellent to hear!