Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience.
55012488

Hello, The last couple of days, my parrot and his droppings

Customer Question

Hello, The last couple of days, my parrot and his droppings seem to smell like a dead animal. Sometimes it's very strong. He seems happy and fine and moves normal. I clean his cage twice a day and hosed it down, it's not his cage so it's him. He is a 16 year old Meyers parrot. Any thoughts? Thank you
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. The question is unusual but does have a few answers.

When a different odor is noted in droppings we first consider a change in our bird's diet - particularly if more fatty seeds have been recently ingested. Nondigested fats will become rancid and odiferous quickly. A pelleted ration may resolve the odor.

We also consider maldigestion and malabsorption. Poorly digested and/or absorbed ingesta will decay and become odiferous. Presumptive therapy with digestive enzymes obtainable from an avian vet is an acceptable manner in which to test for maldigestion. Malabsorption is more problematic to confirm (biopsy of the GI tract) and usually isn't attempted.

We also need to consider a possible urinary tract infection. Some bacteria that infect the urinary tract are urea splitters. When urea is split two molecules of ammonia are produced and an ammonia odor is the result. Presumptive antibiotic therapy for a urinary tract infection is an acceptable manner in which to proceed. It can be difficult to obtain sufficient urine for urinalysis but an avian vet can carefully separate the urine from the urates and fecal material in droppings and attempt to determine if a urinary tract infection is, indeed, present before initiating antibiotic therapy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 42 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I do have a bit more to clarify. It's not really him, it's just his droppings now.

the consistency is normal and the color is it's normal green, but a little brownish hue. I did change his food to see of that will help. I've also started him on Bene-bac plus for birds. He is still normal and alert.

Yes, I assumed it was just his droppings. Bird skin isn't expected to smell. Let me know how the diet change and probiotics work, please.