Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

2-3 year olds everywhere

2-3 year old siamese  urinate EVERYWHERE. Male throws up regularly.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about cats' problems! How frustrating.

Habitual vomiting is quite common in cats, and unfortunately, there are few good solutions. If the texture or the protein source of the foods haven't helped, you might talk to your vet about a prescription diet. There are low-residue and allergen-free diets available through veterinarians that have much more limited ingredients than over the counter diets (even those that claim to be "hypoallergenic").

If you haven't already, I'd also suggest ruling out a medical cause for the vomiting. Irritable bowel disease is also quite common in cats, and as the cat ages, it can progress to GI lymphoma. Vomiting, food intolerance, and sometimes diarrhea are signs. Testing usually involves an abdominal ultrasound and sometimes biopsies. Alternatively, some vets will try cats on prednisolone, the medication used to treat IBS, and some cats will show improvement.

In many cases, the frequency of vomiting can be decreased, but the cat may still vomit from time to time. The problem often isn't eliminated entirely.

As far as the inappropriate urination goes, there is no such thing as a litter box trained cat. They go where they like best, XXXXX XXXXX that's not the litter box, things can get very frustrating indeed. As both cats are doing it, it sounds as if it is a purely behavioral problem, not a medical one, like a UTI or cystitis (this can be confirmed with a urinalysis). It's great that you've tried different litters and cleaners to try to stop them. Here is what I usually recommend for inappropriate urination.

-Have one more litter box than you have cats. Some cats won't share. Make sure that boxes are in different rooms so that one cat can't guard multiple litter boxes. Litter box guarding is a common form of competition or aggression among cats.

-Check the location of the boxes. Is it easily accessible? Is it on a different floor? Is there a noisy water pump, household appliance, or other unpleasant thing nearby?

-Do other cats come on your property outside? Any strays crossing your yard or garden? Do you or family members handle other cats outside the home? Are there any new furniture pieces or other new items in the home? Try to keep the cats from seeing other cats outside (they may spray to mark territory if they are seeing other cats), and if there are new items at home or you handle other cats, rub the item (or yourself) with dirty laundry before handling your cats to help get rid of the scent.

-Set your cats up to succeed-- keep shoes, blankets, laundry, etc out of reach as much as possible.

-Inappropriate urination (like scratching) can be a symptom of a cat that is generally unhappy. Cat furniture and toys to make your home more cat-friendly can help, but don't always make much of a difference.

-If all else fails, many cats benefit from anti-anxiety medications. They are calming to cats who find being indoors and looking out at other cats stressful, and they have a side effect of reducing inappropriate urination even in cats who are not anxious. Buspirone or other, similar medications reduce or eliminate inappropriate urination in 75% of the cats who have been tried on them. Some people find that Feliway diffusers help cats go back into the box too, but my clients' response has been mixed at best, XXXXX XXXXX cases that have been going on for a while.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.