Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
My dog, Gus, is near 13 yrs old -- a "rescued" Mini-Schnauzer/Bichon Frise mix who suffers from several halth concerns, the most serious of which is mastcell tumor cancer. He's being treated with Kinavet-CA1 (150 mg once daily). Tonight after his walk, on which he was rather weak, I noticed that he was trembling. I held him & let him fall asleep in my arms twice, thinking he was in GI discomfort or pain from his tumor (or his degenerative disk condition). I just took his temp since the shivering got worse after he went outside to piddle. I was shocked to see that he has a fever of 104.8! What can I do for him at home -- or do I need to being him to emergency care right away? Thanks in advance for your reply. -- Deirdre outside DC
Hi I'm Dr STeve and I would like to help you. How long has your dog been feeling poorly? Is it a boy or a girl and has he/she shown any other symptoms?
Did you see my extended revised question?
No unfortunately I have not. Has another expert been helping yo.They may have accessed your updated question.
Now I see a lot of detail. Let me read it fo ra minute please
i cut & [asted it
Ok, IN most cases a fever indicates an infection somewhere in the body. It is sometimes difficult to know exactly where the infection is until tests are done. The treatment for infections is antibiotics. If a dog seems to be in pain , antiinflammatory/pain meds can be given to reduce the pain and discomfort that can accompany an infection.
Got it. Thanks
As a rule , an infection often can wait a few hours to be addressed, but with his other health concerns, that may not be the best idea. The first thing that should be checked would be a blood test to check for elevated white blood cells , indicating infection.
ok... while you were typing my reg vet called me back w/ dirctions
At this point is he able to sleep or get into a comfortable position?
let me go try to bring the temp down over coming 1/2 hour w/ cold compress
he slept earlier -- is in my arms breathing heavily now.
let me go tend to him
Ok. I will give you some ideas while youu are away and maybe it will help.
thank you !
My pleasure good luck
Heavy breathing can be due to the fever and if that is the case, the breathing should improve if the cold compress brings the fever down. If the fever doesn't come down it would be more support that he may have an infection. Heavy breathing can also be caused by a respiratory infection. If his fever comes down but his breathing doesn't improve, then that also is evidence that he may have a respiratory infection. As dogs get older they can develop other problems that didn't seem to bother them when they were younger and respiratory infections are one of these possibilities. I realize you are trying to get by until tomorrow morning and that is ok. If heis temp comes down and if he can rest , not seem to be uncomfortable and if his breathing improves, he would likely be ok until tomorrow. If he doesn't seem to improve, then taking him to the er clinic wold be the best recommendation.
I hope this has helped. I maybe offline when you get back ( it is very late here) , but I will check in the morning to see if you have any more questions. I would appreciate if you would give me an update on his condition once he is seen by your vet. THanks for the question and good luck.
i think he may have inhaled a crumb of one of his treats the other day -- he went around trying to snuff it out... I wonder if a piece got stuck & got infected inhis nasal passage?
hmmm... why would this service pair me up w/ someone for whom it was also very late?
Usually if a dog gets something stuck in his nasal cavity, tehy will continue to try to sneeze it out or rub his nose with his paw or on the floor in an attempt to get it out. If he was doing this and has stopped he may have gotten it out. WIth his age it is more likely that his immune system is not as strong as it used to be and it is not able to protect him from the normal bacteria that he may encounter day to day.
On our end , the questions come up and whoever is available can answer them. At this hour there aren't as many experts online as earlier in the evening and sometimes a question will stay unanswered for a longer time.
I will be available for a little while longer, I just wasn't sure how long you would be busy helping Gus. I just wanted you to know I might have gone offline while you were away.
Back to your question about inhaling the treat . It is possible that he may have inhaled it into his lungs and that could cause an infection in his lungs resulting in teh high fever and heavy breathing. The treatment is similar and that wold be antibiotics to kill any bacteria the treat may have introduced into the lungs ( if that is the case) . Otherwise the treatment is typically still antibiotics to kill bacteria that cause an infection that causes a fever.
I am still online but am going to step away for a few minutes. If you have more questions, I will be happy to reply in 3-4 minutes when I get back. I can opt out of this question when I am ready to go to bed and hopefully another expert will be available to continue with you is that would make you more comfortable. I want you to have access to an expert as long as you feel you need to get through this stressful time .
I will check back in a few minutes.
I see you are offline. I hope things are going better for Gus. I will check back around 7:00 am tomorrow to see how things are going. If you are online before I am, please leave any further questions or progress notes and I will respond at that time. Thanks for your patience. Good luck tomorrow
Thank you... my computer had gone into rest mode while I was tending to Gus. his fever has come down -- but only to 104.4 & his breathing is more labored.
I will bring him to emergency care.
Thanks for the update. With the labored breathing I think that is a wise decision and I wish you and Gus the best of luck.
much for your assistance. Gus spent the last two days in the animal hospital. Hewas so anemic as well as having a fever - 12%!!!!
he received a transfusion, and treatment for possible early pneumonia.
He and his sister, Josie -- whom i adopted two years ago at age 10.5 -- have been my faithful companions. Esp while I was convaleascing for 3 months after a stroke last winter. :)