Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 4 year old Australian shepherd/ chihuahua mix. The

I have a 4 year old Australian shepherd/ chihuahua mix. The outer portion of the white part of his eye is swollen ti the point it looks like a liquid filled bubble. I am worried and want to know what could possibly be causing this irritation.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You've described chemosis - edema of the mucous membrane of the eyeball and/or conjunctiva. You're correct to incriminate allergy because chemosis is the result of an irritant or allergen that has contacted the eye.

Washing out the eye with normal saline, a tear substitute, or simply plain water is indicated. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) dosed at 1-2mg/lb (maximum dose of 50mg) is prudent and can be repeated in 8-12 hours if necessary. Chemosis usually remisses quickly once the eye is cleansed. Buster should do nicely.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the response. I did flush his eye with some warm water and gave him the benadryl shortly after. I gave him the benadryl roughly 30 minutes ago and the eye swelling has not receded. How soon should I expect results?

Benadryl isn't expected to address existing edema but, instead, prevent further swelling. A corticosteroid such as prednisone would reduce that edema but so will the tincture of time. I've noticed that in my own eyes that edema can disappear within 30 minutes if I've eliminated the irritant/allergen.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are there any type of OTC drops I can go out and get him to help at all?

Yes, but by the time you return he may well have normalized! If you wish, you can purchase over the counter antihistaminic drops such as those containing ketotifen. Please see here: http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Antihistamine-Eye-Drops-Original-Prescription-Strength?skuId=809339
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. Just as a precaution I'll run out and get the drops. If the swelling does not go down should I wait until the morning to see about getting him in to see the vet?

Yes, because he's likely to have completely remissed by morning so "watchful waiting" is appropriate rather than an ER visit.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. (It's currently 6:20PM here) Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question I have is, what dosage would you recommend for the CVS eye drops?

The adult dose as stated on the package insert - just one drop into the affected eye no more often than every 8 hours.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Buster, please?