Ask a Vet and Get Your Veterinary Questions Answered.
Hello. This is Dr. Christian.
How long ago did they eat them?
not sure I've been out of the house for about 2 hours
Is there a lot of chocolate in the bars or is more like some chocolate chips?
it's like a drizzle maybe 1/4 of the bar if that
Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate but it sounds like it would take more than they have eaten to cause problems for dogs this size. I would be surprised if they showed any symptoms of chocolate toxicity. The symptoms are vomiting, staggering, twitching, and in the worst case, seizures. There aren't any antidotes but if symptoms occur then treatment involves medications and fluids until the chocolate is out of their system. If you want to be absolutely safe since we don't know if one dog ate all the chocolate itself, then try a tablespoon of peroxide per 30 pounds to induce vomiting. It can be repeated 10 minutes alter if needed.
ok thank you how long do you think it would take to show symptoms if they were to
You're welcome. Within 3-4 hours.
If you have more questions please let me know. Good luck.