Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog chewed through our camper fridge lead and got a shock

My dog chewed through our camper fridge lead and got a shock I think it's 240 volts. She is red on the belly but I dnt know if it is just her rash as she gets a rash from grass which she was rubbing her belly on the grass. She feels very hot as well and it has been two days since the shock. Should I be worried?
Submitted: 1 year ago via PetWave.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can you tell me how Trigga has been otherwise since the shock?

Is she eating comfortably? Any drooling?

Any changes to her breathing?

Does she appear uncomfortable other then in regards XXXXX XXXXX belly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 1st day she didn't eat a lot, she is eating now. She seems very quiet, sleeping a lot.
Her belly is very red and she feels very hot. She looks very sad in the face.
No drooling I haven't noticed anything with the breathing.
So I am wondering if its more to do with her allergy to a certain grass but I have never seen her go red or hot like this some of her skin has gone black as well.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Based on your history, I suspect that the skin issues on her belly are not related to the electric shock Trigga experienced a few days ago. Rather if she was shocked while the wire was in her mouth, then we’d be more concerned that she may have burns to the tongue and roof of her mouth. If the damage is severe, then this can present as drooling, struggling to eat, and appetite loss. If she has any of these signs, then we’d want her vet to check her mouth and cover her with antibiotics (to prevent infection) and pain relief.

Furthermore, in some shock cases, we can see the development of non-cardiogenic pulmonary edema. This is where fluid accumulates in the lungs after the shock and can lead to breathing difficulties. Now since it has been a few days and you have not noted any change to her breathing, this is likely not going to be an issue for Trigga.

That all said, back to her belly. In this situation, I’d be more suspicious that her grass allergy is flaring up in response to a high level exposure to a grass species she must be very sensitive to. When dogs experience skin allergic reactions, we often will see redness and temperature elevation of the skin (this is due to the allergy causing vasodilation of the blood vessels within the skin along with inflammation of the tissue). As well, I suspect that the black you are seeing is due to hyperpigmentation (a dramatic example). This is a skin change that is commonly seen when an area of skin is subjected to chronic irritation and very common in dogs with allergies.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX this, you may wish to continue using your allergy cream for her. As well, you do want to make sure to wash her belly after any contact with this grass. Furthermore, if she is very irritated then you may wish to consider a trial on anti-histamines. These can help settle allergic skin reactions and decrease general itchiness/inflammation and may just be enough to help give her some relief. (More Information/Dose). Finally, if you try the above and she is so irritated that anti-histamines are not strong enough to settle this, then you may wish to follow up with her vet so that a short course of steroids can be dispensed to halt this allergic dermatitis.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with 4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.