Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 20 + year old Lovebird who 4 weeks ago had an episode

I have a 20 + year old Lovebird who 4 weeks ago had an episode involving torticollis, siezures, falling and disorientation. Treated with warmth, motrin and Gatorade. He recovered slowly and is now alert but has developed gangrene(dry) in most of has toes. What to do?
I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you. The dry gangrene you're seeing in an aged lovebird is due to vascular compromise - most likely as a result of thrombosis (blood clots) which also caused what sounds like a stroke 4 weeks ago. There are a number of systemic disorders that are thrombotic; however, in birds we would place atherosclerosis on the top of our tentative diagnosis list. Just as in people, atherosclerosis is a common cause of cardiac dysfunction and thrombosis in birds.

Unfortunately, we don't have effective therapies for such a disorder. Aspirin was a reasonable approach as a thrombolytic agent but there are no studies to show its efficacy in birds. Your good care - heating his area to 80-90F - and administering supplements as you've done is as much as I can recommend at this time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

bigislandvet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is stable so far. No change. Gangrene is not progressing. His poop looks reasonably normal but his vent is crusted

Thank you taking the time to update me. Don't hesitate to gently wash away the crusting with warm water. I suspect he's having trouble avoiding soiling himself.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we have traveled all the way back to Miami from NC and, amazingly, he is still alive and looking rather well in spite of his skinniness. his toes have fallen off . he. Eats well. He hobbles around on the nubs of his feet, eats breakfast with us and sleeps. what now?
I never argue with success. Let him keep eating with you and give him a kiss for me.