Dr. Gregg
Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years experience in general veterinary medicine
64354720

.We have 2 adult male zebra finches.One has

.We have 2 adult male zebra finches. One has become frail, tremors and has lost feathers. They both scratch a bit, is that some kind of bird mite? How do I treat? But the smaller male seems to have something more serious. Help! Susan, mom to Fletcher & Lucky

Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Hi, Deb does not specialize in birds and has asked that we list your question to other Bird professionals. Thank you for your patience as I find a professional for you:-)
Camille
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought Pat would respond.
We are in a dire situation with our bird.

From what I can tell, No actual vet has reviewed my case, just the moderator. Based on this being a paid service, I expected a proper response.

Please advise if I can exprct a response today, so I can decide if I should take my pet concern elsewhere.
I am having trouble locating bird-specific vets near me,

Thank you,
And please advise ASAP.
Susan

Hello again,

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, I would be happy to receive some valid advice by 2pm EST today.

Thanks,
Susan
Expert:  Dr. Gregg replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Gregg and I will try to help you out. I am not a board certified avian expert but I am a small animal/exotic vet who has treated and kept birds for 35 years. Let me give you some thoughts and see if you think it helps. Birds, in general are difficult to diagnose because they tend to hide symptoms. It becomes more difficult with out the ability to see and touch them. While difficult in these tiny birds you will most likely need some basic laboratory tests (cbc fecal smear) as well as the help of a vet versed in treating birds.
Your assessment that the bird who has tremors, lost weight and feather loss has a serious problem is correct. This is where the lab tests will help out. The feather issues may be mites but if you have not brought in new birds beforehand it is unlikely. There are other causes of itchy birds.
What I would suggest is see if your vet would go with "tentative treatment" for bacterial infection or parasites. The antibiotic doxycycline would be my first choice with enrofloxacin being second. Either of these can cover a wide range of infections. The drug ivermectin is a good anti-parasiticide that can cover for internal parasites as well as external ones like mites.
As with any sick bird it is important to keep them warm (85 degrees or more) and make sure they get some calories if they do not eat and water if they do not drink.
I hope this helps you out and sorry your answer took so long. I was out of town until today. Good luck with the little peepers, I do love their sound. I will be happy to try to answer any further questions you have.

Dr. Gregg, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years experience in general veterinary medicine