Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

What can you do to get beetle bugs off my dog?

Hi there,

First off, I'd advise you not to panic-- carpet beetle larvae may climb on dogs, but they don't generally infest and reproduce in dog hair like fleas do. So, once you get rid of the carpet beetles in your home, your dog should be in the clear and would not be a cause for the beetles to stay in your house.

A good bath followed by application of Canine Advantix should be sufficient. If the larvae do climb onto your dog, the active ingredient in Advantix will kill them (and should repel them as well).

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further. Good luck de-beetling!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you get Advantix anywhere or is it through a Vet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to but it went back to paying $38.00 for it!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also will Advantix hurt my dog, she is only 4lbs. She is on Revolution!

Advantix is available over the counter. Some smaller dogs tolerate Revolution better than they do Advantix. As she's on Revolution already, you might consider doing a flea bath. The active ingredient in the flea bath is the same as the one that is in Advantix-- it just doesn't have the carrier that makes it hang around in the skin for a whole month, and it's easier to dilute for smaller dogs.

Insects have to actually bite your dog and suck blood to be killed by Revolution, while Advantix kills on contact. Carpet beetle larvae are more likely to chew on dead or surface skin than they are to bite and suck blood, so I don't think the Revolution will do much for them. However, the Advantix (or flea bath) is a kind of "just-in-case" measure, and bathing your dog to remove any that crawl on her will likely be enough until you are able to exterminate the ones in your house if you want to avoid an additional pesticide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I feel after talking to my vet, that I didn't get the right answer and would like to get my money returned.