Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Parakeet has large growth between legs. He is happy and acts

Parakeet has large growth between legs. He is happy and acts healthy. Feathers have stopped growing there and dark skin color . Hoping I can determine if fatty or tumor
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you clarify for me, please, what "between legs" means? Is the growth originating from a leg or are you seeing a distended abdomen?

Fatty growths can decrease in size if we lower the fat content in the diet which could be accomplished by eliminating his fatty seeds and sticking with the veggies and pellets. Abdominal tumors, however - renal and testicular tumors - are highly malignant and deadly.

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is his abdomen. A large portion of it looks cover with scab. It is not wet or weeping. Beer belly would describe it's appearance. Feathers have stopped growing on that portion. I first noticed it about six weeks ago. I didn't think he would last this long but I began making sure he has veggies every day and feeding walnuts which are supposed to help with tumors in people. He has improved activity and is eating well and does appear to have gotten better. He still eats seeds but I only give a little every day. He does eat the veggies, pellets not so much, but some when the seeds are gone. The iodine/trace mineral supplement had a cool instruction to mix with a gallon of water , keep refrigerated to insure proper dilution.

Thank you. This sounds like an ulcerated lipoma (fatty growth) commonly found in that location. The renal and testicular tumors remain inside the abdomen and cause profound morbidity.

Once a lipoma ulcerates they're very difficult to managed conservatively. Our budgies peck and claw at these and ulcerate the skin which then can become secondarily infected. Surgical resection of these lipomas is possible but risky due to excessive bleeding.

You can remove the fatty seeds and regularly cleanse the affected area with an over the counter antimicrobial that contains chlorhexidine such as Hebiclens which is available at your local pharmacy. Avoid creams, ointments and gels which would be dangerous to Buddy if ingested.

Give it your best. You might well manage this satisfactorily but lipomas never go away completely. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I had a budgie with internal tumor and limp leg, lasted about a month. When I saw this I immediately thought tumor, but when he started getting better I thought otherwise and the information you gave me is what I was looking for . He doesn't peck or damage the area. I'll try and get him on pellet only. Thanks !

Sounds good. I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

Please disregard the info request.