Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

my pekingese was treated for flea bite induced infection.

Customer Question

my pekingese was treated for flea bite induced infection. Gave her prednione to help the itch and vet said okay to give her Activil even though she had Frontline treatment on the 10th of the month. She is now acting very strange (running 2 ft then flopping on her side) has the shivers and her back feet twitch. Feeding her by hand and giving water by syringe as she will not stay still long enough to drink on her own. She is 9 months old and 8 1/2 lbs
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, While it's unlikely that it's an interaction between the Frontline and the Activil, as they have completely different ways of killing fleas, it sounds as if your dog may have a sensitivity to the Activil. The symptoms you describe are similar to reactions to many flea products. First, she should be thoroughly bathed (twice if possible) to remove any traces of the medication that could still be on her skin. Then, she should go back to the vet for observation for the day. Sometimes, seizures are a result of flea medication reactions, and she should be in a place where she can be medicated if needed. I'd recommend letting your vet know about the reaction and not using that product on her in the future. I also recommend stopping giving her food and water by mouth while she is abnormal, as there is a high risk of choking or breathing in the food and water and causing pneumonia. I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

Expert:  Dr. Taus replied 3 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus