Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

my cat has a mass on his right jaw and its putting pressure

my cat has a mass on his right jaw and its putting pressure on his eye.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I would get a consult with a veterinary oncologist. They will likely want to do an CT of the head to see how far the mass goes. If it's removable, then they can get you in touch with a surgeon or dentist to try to remove it. It's not uncommon to remove jaw tumors in animals.

If it's not removable, then they may elect to go with radiation therapy to shrink it down and improve his quality of life. It's not curative, but it can buy you some time and improve his daily function so that he's more comfortable. That is likely the route they'll go here given your description.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how do I go about finding a veterinary oncologist or cat dentist? are the costs involved with this procedure prohibitive?

You can go to www.acvim.org to search for an oncologist in your area.

I don't know how much the radiation therapy will run. It really varies based on the size of the mass and how often they do therapy. The consult will likely run ~ 100 and then you can get further questions answered at the time. It's definitely worth the consult.