Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice

My dog seems to have become deaf after having surgery to remove

My dog seems to have become deaf after having surgery to remove a tumor on his leg. Is it possible that something went wrong during the procedure or maybe it's temporary due to the anesthesia or something?
There is noting that could have gone wrong during the procedure that would have caused deafness, but it could be related to the anesthesia drugs. It is pretty rare, but we occasionally see deafness after general anesthesia and although there are several theories I don't think anyone really knows why. It may be a rare adverse effect of one of the drugs (ketamine seems pretty common), reduced blood flow to the inner ear for some reason, or pressure changes in the middle ear from ET intubation/gas anesthesia.

In some animals the hearing returns while in others it's permanent. If it has been more than 4 weeks and you are not seeing improvement in the hearing, then it is likely permanent.

Dr. Stacy
Hi Kimberly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Curly. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy