Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Hi have a small dwarf chinese male hamster. In his food bowl

Hi have a small dwarf chinese male hamster. In his food bowl appears to be blood. At times he does urinate in his food bowl. His cage always clean. He is 9 months old....We do have a picture of this in his food bowl. 

Otherwise he seems okay.....Had 3 hamsters before this one and never encountered this problem. I have added a picture of his food bowl..

Thank you.

Zippy food bowl

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Thank you for the photo! It does appear to be blood but we occasionally find an ingredient in hamster mixes that turn red when wettened. To avoid confusing a dye with blood, have Zippy confined to a small area with just newspaper covering the bottom of the area. Normal urine will be thick and yellow and often mistaken for pus.

The alternate diagnoses are a bacterial cystitis (bladder infection) and calculi (stones). Zippy's vet can check Zippy's urine for evidence of infection (bacteria, abnormal numbers of red or white blood cells) or simply presumptively treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as injectable enrofloxacin at a dose of 0.05-0.2mg/ml in the drinking water. If a stone has formed, however - and it may be palpable by your vet - surgery is necessary but stones often recur in hamsters necessitating frequent surgeries.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry sent a ? out didn't see this. Zippy is a chewer like one of my other hamsters was that lived a long life. He had already tried to chew clothe when we first got him. What if he chews the newspaper you suggested?

Thank you..

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I answered your second question without realizing that it was duplicate of this. My moderator would appreciate your returning to this question if need be. Here's what I posted in the other question:

"To avoid Zippy eating nondigestibles you can simply keep him confined on a white plastic cutting board or something similar. Hamsters urinate quite often so you shouldn't have long to wait to see what his urine looks like."

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are welcome. Thank you. I lost the last reply from you. I believe you asked if you can email me to see how zippy is in a few days? That would be fine I will check my email on and off during the next few days.

I am hoping this is nothing serious.

Yes, Jane, I set a follow up for 9/29. Speak to you then.
May I have an update on Zippy, please?