Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dwarf hamster has what looks like a stye in her eye. and

My dwarf hamster has what looks like a stye in her eye. and the tissue around her eye is a bit pinker than normal.
It has gotten progressively worse over about two weeks.
I plan to take her to the vet as soon as I get paid but in the meantime is there anything I can do? Like can I put eye drops? It looks painful.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Unfortunately, treatment of ocular disorders in hamsters is too often unrewarding. The simplest problem is a keratoconjunctivitis (inflammation of the cornea and conjunctiva) caused by ammonia vapor from soiled bedding but I would expect both of your hamster's eyes to be affected. Instead, we have to be worried about dental problems including tooth root infection that may result in facial or retrobulbar (around the globe of the eye) abscesses, with hemifacial swelling, proptosis (eye displaced from the socket), and exposure keratitis (inflammation of the cornea) as common sequelae. Such abscesses frequently lead to the pet's death.

In case of simple infectious conjunctivitis, you can apply a small glob of Terramycin ophthalmic ointment three times daily to the affected eye for ten consecutive days. Terramycin is sold over the counter in many pet/feed stores or you can purchase it online. Here's what it looks like:

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I'll speak to you soon.

I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.