Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

My long haired miniature daschund had recurring infections

My long haired miniature daschund had recurring infections and had to have his anal sacs removed. Since his op , he has gained 800grams and never had a weight problem before. his sugar is normal, he is very energetic, doesnt drink excessively and besides the huge sudden weight increase he is very well and active. We have reduced his food to 100g a day, only 1 Hills treat and 1 tablespoon of low fat yoghurt which he has eaten since a puppy. he hasnt lost and although there is no correlation between weight gain and surgery...I want to explore this before cutting back further on his food. he used to weigh 6.8kgs and now weighs 7.4.kgs.thanks Claudia

Good Morning Claudia and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is reported in humans that anesthesia can change the "set Point" of weight allowing weight gain. This may happen in some dogs but research has not been done on this. Luigi may have this phenomenon, Claudia, if all other parameters have been checked. I would be concerned, at Luigi's age, of a developing thyroid issue that will promote weight gain. Be sure, Claudia, to have Luigi;s thyroid function checked as well as a complete chemistry panel to be sure that there is no medical condition. If this is ruled out, then increased exercise and a low calorie diet such as Science diet WD will help decrease Luigi's weight. I am sure, Claudia, that you are ware that with dachshund's a lower weight is important because of the risk of a disc issue in his back.

Does that make sense to you, Claudia?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my vet did say after another month of cutting back on treats he would do a test for thyroid although his high energy and breed didnt really correlate. I think the anaesthetic might be a good place to start as nothing else has changed in his routine pre and post very aware of their backs...his sister Francesca gained after allergy meds but now is 6.0!! Thanks, Claudia

Good job, Claudia....your vet is following the correct protocol and hopefully, with some work, Luigi will be back to his handsome self with your love and caring....

Thank you so much , Claudia for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have. I hope Luigi does well.

Have a great day!!

Hi Claudia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luigi. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta