Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.
74956788

My parakeet hurt his leg so I put him in a one level aquarium.

My parakeet hurt his leg so I put him in a one level aquarium. He is eating and drinking normally but he is breathing pretty hard. Then a day after I put him there and he looked constipated. He lost feathers near his butt and his butt is swollen. A vet is not in the picture financially so what do I do ?
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that your parakeet is not feeling well. Are you absolutely certain that your bird is a male? It can be difficult to tell externally, so unless it has been sexed by a vet, I'm always a little uncertain.

The symptoms you describe could be from constipation or from egg binding (if it is a female). Home remedies include:
-Keeping the bird in a warm (about 80 degrees), humid room
-Holding the bird over steaming water or giving it a warm bath to relax muscles
-Massaging the swollen area gently with olive oil (being careful not to break a bound egg if one is present)
-Providing a calcium source (the shell of a boiled egg or a mineral block for the cage)

Sometimes this helps. Sometimes, it is not enough, and veterinary care (including calcium shots and prescription medication, and sometimes surgery) is the only alternative. Conditions like these can rapidly become life-threatening, so if home remedies don't work within 1-2 days, you really must consider the vet.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus