Dr. Taus
Dr. Taus, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with experience in equine and small animal medicine.

Hello Debbie, Every now & then my cat squints & shakes his

Hello Debbie, Every now & then my cat squints & shakes his head & has a little bit of clear liquid. At first he did it with his left eye and the rim around the eye was a little pink. I bought some no tears drops & it went away. Now he did it once with the other eye. And has sneezed a couple of times. His appetite also increased. But the squinting & shaking of his head has happened about 4 times during the past year that I've had him. When he adopted me he appeared to have been outdoors for quite awhile & had tapeworm. I got him fixed/shots/dewormed & chipped. He looks great now & runs & plays with my other cat.
Also since the increased appetite he started sleeping in the bathroom sink & bathtub. It doesn't seem like anything is seriously wrong with him so I've just been keeping a good eye on him. It is time for his check up & shots. Do you think there's anything I should be concerned about or specific questions I should ask my vet?
Thank you :) Cherie
Hi there,

Sky's tears/eye issues may be due to one of two things. He may have seasonal allergies, as you suspected. Or, he may have feline herpes virus. Unlike human herpes, it's spread through the air, and most kittens get it from their mothers at a very young age (virtually all cats carry it). Some of them will never show signs, while others will occasionally have some sneezing and mild conjunctivitis. If he is squinting or rubbing his eyes, or if he has discharge that is thick and green or yellow, it's time to see the vet. Otherwise, it will generally clear up on its own in a couple of weeks. It's usually not something to worry too much about. Sometimes cats with low immune systems will have more flare-ups. If he wasn't FIV/FeLV tested when he was initially neutered and vaccinated, you might consider doing that, since he was on his own before he adopted you.

Increased appetite may be due to him being more active (if he is more active). Cats often develop hyperthyroidism, which can lead to an increased appetite and weight loss. If he's eating ravenously but losing weight, or if he has behavior changes, when he goes in for his yearly checkup, have your vet feel his neck to see if there is a thyroid nodule, and talk to your vet about blood testing for hyperthyroidism.

I hope this is helpful. If so, please rate me positively, and don't hesitate to let me know how I can help further.
Hi Cherie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Taus