Rebecca, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have more than 30 years of veterinary practice experience.
11877925

Our two and a half year old bunny is consistently chomping

Customer Question

Our two and a half year old bunny is consistently chomping his teeth and tilting his head to the right side. He's also running around and standing on his hind legs and shacking his head. What can I do? I think something is stuck.
Category: Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Boogers.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

The first thing I would check are his teeth. Rabbits teeth grow constantly, and can become too long and need trimming.

Rebecca :

You can't see the back teeth just looking in the mouth; bunnies have very long narrow mouths. I use an otoscope in the mouth to look at the molars, that is the only way to look at all the teeth. If there is something stuck between his teeth, that would be the only way to see it and remove it.

Rebecca :

If the mouth is normal, then I would look in his ears for the reason for his shaking his head. But from your description, I agree, I think the problem is in his mouth.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you can see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

I like this chat format, but sometimes it seems not to work for the customer. If I do not hear from you soon, I can try another way to connect with you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Molly,
The website says you disconnected, so I will try this way to reach you.

He needs to have his mouth examined, so that means taking him to a veterinarian who has some kind of tool that is long, with a light source, to look into deep holes. I use the same scope I use to look into ears, that goes in two inches and shines a light. That is the only way to examine the whole mouth and all the teeth. Bunnies just can't open their jaws far enough to look into the mouth like we can, or dogs and cats can.

Please let me know what else I can help with or answer. The problem is probably in his mouth or his ears.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am still not seeing any responses from you! Please let me know if there is anything I can help with or research or answer for you.